Building Permits & Inspections

Building Permits & Inspections 2019-04-23T18:03:28+00:00

The City of Arnold requires construction permits for both commercial and residential structures, including, but not limited to buildings, fences, retaining walls, and signs. Only contractors licensed by the City may do work in Arnold.

You should submit permit applications at least two weeks prior to your anticipated start date. While, it is the City’s objective to process all applications within one to two business weeks, due to seasonal fluctuations, project scope or complexity, and the completeness and accuracy of the application, turnaround time may vary.

Whether commercial or residential, the cost of construction and the number of disciplines in the permit determines the permit fee. For assistance in determining the permit fee or for any other information, please contact the Department at 636-282-2378.

Construction site


A permit is required if the shed is over 200 square feet. Further, if the shed is over 120 square feet a permit is not required but it does have to meet the setbacks from the property line. Most often the setbacks are 15 feet from the rear, and 8 feet from the side property lines.
The fee is based on the cost of construction. The fee is due at the time of application and plan submittal.
If the exposed face of the wall is over 3 feet in height a permit is required.
Yes, new codes have been adopted since the old deck was built and the distance to property lines (setbacks) may not be correct for the old deck.
Yes. Anyone that does work in the City of Arnold needs to apply for a business license with our City Clerk’s Office. There is an application; fee and they will require proof of insurance. If you are an electrician, plumber or drain layer, you will also need to get you specialty license with the city. This would require an application, copy of an existing license, fee and a $5,000 surety bond to the City of Arnold.
We can direct you to the proper FEMA map to identify your property. We will provide additional amendments or revisions that are not represented on the FEMA map. If you need to make any applications with FEMA we direct you to the appropriated applications and private agencies to assist you.
An existing structure inspection is required if a house is to be sold or a new tenant is moving in. There is an application to fill out and a $50.00 fee.
Yes. Anytime a new resident or tenant moves into a property, an occupancy permit is required. There is no fee for an occupancy permit.